A healthy, flavourful chicken curry that is really easy to make and impress your guests with! Oven roasting the chicken gives it an intense flavour that pairs well with the seared vegetables in the sauce.
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 lb (450g) Zamzam boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ inch piece ginger, minced
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp each, ground, divided: garam masala, coriander, cumin, dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- ½ tsp each, divided: red chilli powder (cayenne pepper), turmeric
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ cup each, finely chopped: onion, red pepper, green pepper, zucchini, cauliflower florets
- 1 ¼ cups canned plum tomatoes, pureed
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp each: ground almonds, dried unsweetened coconut powder (desiccated coconut)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
- Heat oven to 450F. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Combine chicken with lemon juice, garlic, ginger, salt, ½ tsp each of garam masala, ground coriander, ground cumin and dried fenugreek leaves, ¼ tsp each of red chilli powder and turmeric. Mix well, then spread chicken evenly in a single layer on baking tray.
- Bake for 20 min or until chicken has browned lightly and is almost cooked.
- Meanwhile, warm oil in deep non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Add cumin seeds, sauté 30 sec. Add chopped vegetables and sauté for 7-8 min or until vegetables are crisp tender and lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- In same skillet set over medium heat, add pureed tomatoes, remaining spices, salt, ground almonds, coconut powder and water. Cover skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 5 min for tomatoes to thicken slightly. Add roasted chicken and its juices, if any, and the seared vegetables. Mix in gently, cover skillet and cook for 10 min for flavours to blend, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and fold in the fresh coriander.
Serving Idea: Serve with brown basmati rice.
Chef’s Tip: Add other favourite vegetables such as mushrooms, peas, green beans or baby spinach to chicken curry. For deeper roasted flavor, grill the marinated chicken on barbecue instead of in the oven.
* Chicken weights taken after removing skin