Reshmi means silken and our chicken tikka are soft as silk! The cheese combined with yogurt makes them tender, while the besan helps the marinade coat the chicken, making the tikka golden and succulent. These tikka are perfect for summer barbecue parties when you want a change from regular tandoori fare.
Recipe type: Appetiser
- 1 lb (450g) Zamzam boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1½ inch sized pieces
- ½ cup each: light cheddar cheese, low fat yogurt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ inch piece ginger)
- 2 tbsp each: besan (chickpea flour), ground almonds
- 1 tsp each, ground: fennel, cardamom, black pepper, coriander, cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp saffron strands
- Salt to taste
- Place chicken in large mixing bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in mini blender or food processor until well blended.
- Pour over chicken, tossing well to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to grill, heat barbecue to medium. Thread chicken onto skewers, about 4 pieces per skewer, spreading leftover marinade over top.
- Grill for about 12 – 14 min, or until chicken is cooked through, turning skewers once.
Serving Idea: Serve with whole-wheat naan and sliced red onions.
Chef’s Tip: Add pieces of red onions and red peppers to chicken skewers for colour and nutrition!