This delicious marinade infuses the chicken with a delicate tomato flavour and gives it a gorgeous reddish colour. Using leftover marinade to baste the chicken during grilling keeps it moist and eliminates the need for using oil.
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 2 lb (900g) skinned* Zamzam (bone in) chicken thighs
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 10 oil free sun dried tomato halves
- ¼ cup each: low fat plain yogurt, vinegar, lemon juice
- 1 tsp each, ground: cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, ginger, paprika, red chilli powder (cayenne pepper)
- ½ tsp each, ground: allspice, sumac
- Salt to taste
- Place chicken in large mixing bowl. Make a few deep gashes in each piece for marinade to seep in.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except sumac in food processor or blender until well minced.
- Pour over chicken, tossing well to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to grill, heat barbecue to medium. Lift chicken out of marinade, spreading leftover marinade over top.
- Grill for about 30 min, or until chicken is cooked through, turning chicken once.
- Sprinkle sumac over top.
Serving Idea: Serve with whole-wheat couscous and herbed chopped tomato, red onion and cucumber salad.
Chef’s Tip: For a change of flavour, add 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or mint to the chicken marinade.
* Chicken weights taken after removing skin