A whole tandoori chicken looks impressive and is succulent and delicious. For best results, marinate it overnight in the refrigerator for flavours to develop fully.
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 (3.5 lb/1600g) skinned* Zamzam whole chicken
- 15 cloves garlic
- 4 inch piece ginger
- ¾ cup each: lemon juice, plain low fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp each, ground: garam masala, coriander, cumin, fennel seeds (saunf), dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- ¾ tsp red chilli powder (cayenne pepper)
- ⅛ tsp tandoori or red food colouring
- Salt to taste
- Place chicken in large mixing bowl. Make a few deep gashes in it for marinade to seep in.
- Combine remaining ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Pour over chicken, tossing well to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours, turning chicken in marinade occasionally.
- When ready to roast, preheat oven to 425°F. Lift chicken out of marinade and place on parchment lined rimmed baking tray, spreading any leftover marinade over top. Cover with foil and cook chicken for 1 hour, or until it is almost done.
- Remove foil covering, baste chicken once with pan juices and continue to roast chicken, uncovered for another 20 -25 min or until it is cooked through and lightly browned.
Serving Ideas: Serve with whole wheat naan, onion rings and lemon wedges. For creative use of leftovers, remove chicken from bones and shred. Combine with sautéed onions, lettuce and cheese, then wrap in whole-wheat tortillas. Chef’s Tip: Use a large reseal-able plastic bag to marinate chicken. Substitute using skinned Zamzam chicken drumsticks in place of whole chicken. Grill chicken on outdoor barbecue instead of in oven. * Chicken weights taken after removing skin